June 20 2022
This week’s product, Critical I/O’s SP306N-CCVPX StorePak NVMe CC (Cooled by Connection), 3U VPX, is a removable, single-slot SSD (Solid State Drive) module designed to be used either on its own as a direct attached storage unit, or in combination with a storage manager. StoreEngine for Critical I/O. The unit meets SWaP size, weight, and power (SWaP) requirements while still meeting stringent military standards for harsh environments as well as encryption and security standards.
Designed for easy removal and replacement of on-board volumes, the StorePak is ideal for applications where on-board volumes must be removed quickly. StorePak also supports high-bandwidth data logging, file serving, and general-purpose RAID applications where quick and simple removal of on-board SSDs is essential.
A single StorePak NVMe module can provide up to 12TB (12TB) of solid-state storage in a single 3U slot. Multiple module configurations are available which feature various storage capacities, performance capabilities, and SSD types.
Flexibility and scalability
StorePak can be used independently as an unmanaged direct attached storage (DAS) that is attached to a host CPU board using a PCIe connection to the host. StorePaks can also be used in conjunction with StoreEngine storage manager code to provide a flexible set of storage capabilities including logging and NAS file sharing
The unit can also be easily resized by aggregating several StorePak combinations to offer greater capabilities and performance. Devices can operate independently or as a single storage source.
StorePak also allows the user to “hot-plug” or “hot swap” their volumes without shutting down the system to remove or replace an SSD volume. Hot Plug and Hot Switch capabilities require an appropriately configured host processor operating system, BIOS, and hardware.
When used in conjunction with the StoreEngine storage management module, StorePak also offers high performance data logging/playback, fully managed direct attached storage (RAID), as well as the ability to share NAS files.
The StorePak / StoreEngine combination can concurrently provide:
- High-performance data logging capabilities at rates of over 5000MB/s per StorePak.
- NAS file sharing capabilities using NFS, CIFS, or FTP over 1/10/25 Gigabit Ethernet.
- Fully Managed Direct Attachment Storage (DAS, also known as RAID) capabilities using PCIe or Fiber Channel.
- Software-based RAID 0/1/5 support for all operating modes.
Multiple NVMe SSDs on the StorePak can also be used in conjunction with host-based software RAID. RAID 0 (tape) is commonly used to pool drives for maximum performance. RAID 1 (mirroring) and RAID 5 (parity) are often used to improve data protection through redundancy.
Encryption / Security Capabilities
The following data protection options are available for StorePak:
- Password protection
- AES‐256 encryption for the entire drive
- Opal Trusted Computing Group (TCG) Specifications
- FIPS 140‐2 Level 1
- High performance: up to 5Gb/s per StorePak
- 100,000 input cycles (StorePak volume)
- All standard StorePak configurations make use of TLC flash media: SSD ‐ 3DTLC – 3D Level 3 Flash Media (TLC) The following types of flash media may be available on special request:
- SSD ‐ MLC – Multi Level Cell (MLC) flash media
- SSD ‐ eMLC – Enhanced Flash Media for Multi Level Cells (eMLC)
- SSD ‐ SLC – Single Level Cell (SLC) Flash Media
- Seven 4-lane PCIe Gen3 motherboard ports
- PCIe data/expansion plane connectivity
- Low power: 35W typical
- Air-cooled and delivery versions available
- Weight: 24.8 ounces
- The temperature range of:
- R1: Operating: -40°C to +71°C; Storage: -40°C to +85°C
- R2: Operating: -40°C to +85°C; Storage: -55°C to +105°C
- to view file SP306N-CCVPX Store data sheet, click here.
- To view the StorePak VPX product family page, click here.
- Download the white paper “StorePak / StoreEngine Application Overview: Logger, RAID, or File Server”And the click here.
- For sales information, click here.