Thousands are expected to turn out at Trump Golf Course in Bedminster, NJ for a professional tour

BEDMINSTER – Professionals are expected to attend about 8000 people per day LIV Golf Championship at Trump National Golf Club during the last week of July.

Announced in March, the LIV Golf Invitational Series is based in Saudi Arabia and has become a controversial alternative to current professional golf tours in the US and Europe.

Backed by a $2 billion injection to support its launch, LIV has been promoting extravagant portfolios totaling $255 million and guaranteeing funds to lure players into its events.

But several of the top pros on the PGA Tour, including Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson and Justin Thomas, have said they will not join the LIV series.

Unlike most professional tournaments, the LIV tournaments will feature only three rounds (54 holes) and 48 players in 12 four-man teams over three days. A typical professional golf tournament consists of four rounds (72 holes) with 150 players, without teams, over four days.

The LIV course will act as a rifle starter, which means groups will start at different holes rather than all on the first tee.

The LIV Golf Invitational Series is coming to the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster this summer.

John Dolan, event director, told the Bedminster Town Commission that the start of the gun allowed for a “tighter” time frame for the play.

Dolan, who was the director of the Trump National Women’s US Open in 2017, said the event drew 20,000 during the week of the tournament.

Last year, after the January 6 rebellion in the Capitol, the United States Professional Golfers’ Association decided to move its tournament, one of golf’s Big Four, from Trump National to Tulsa.