USDA Provides Disaster Assistance to SDA Farmers Affected by Recent Severe Storms – Mitchell Republic

Huron, South Dakota – Agricultural operations in South Dakota were significantly affected by a severe weather event that included straight line winds, which caused widespread and widespread devastation across the state.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has technical and financial assistance available to help farmers and livestock producers recover from these adverse weather events. Affected producers should contact their local USDA Service Center to report losses and learn more about program options available to help them recover from loss and damage to crops, land, infrastructure and livestock.

“Extensive damage from the recent severe weather event severely impacted South Dakota, devastated agricultural infrastructure and operations, and significantly hampered progress in the 2022 crop season,” said Robert Boni, Undersecretary for Agricultural Production and Conservation (FPAC). “Bad weather events can leave agricultural producers in a difficult position, so we want to announce that the USDA has a wide range of disaster assistance programs and is constantly reviewing existing policies to determine where the program resilience is to help producers overcome the adversity caused by these Stormy events.

Producers who have risk protection through

Federal Crop Insurance

Crop damage must be reported to a crop insurance agent within 72 hours of discovery of damage or loss of production. All notifications must be confirmed in writing with the crop insurance agent within 15 days of the initial notice. This storm, along with the persistent cold, wet weather in South Dakota has delayed many agricultural producers’ plans to plant a primary crop or replant a crop. The Risk Management Agency (RMA) reminds producers to speak early and often with the crop insurance agent.

“It’s been a cold, wet spring for many farmers in the Midwest, and we’ve heard about the challenges of getting into the fields to plant or replant,” said Eric Bashore, director of the Billings Regional Office, which covers South Dakota. “We recommend that you stay in touch with your crop insurance agents, so you know all of your options. The Federal Crop Insurance Program has several built-in options to address these situations. We will continue to monitor the situation and communicate with stakeholders, crop insurance industry partners, and Farm Services Agency colleagues ( FSA), and state agricultural departments to ensure producers have all the information they need to make decisions throughout the growing season.”

Producers who are unable to plant by the final planting date due to an insurable loss must notify their crop insurance agent as to whether or not they intend to grow an insured crop. Producers may receive a forbidden planting payment or receive a discounted insurance guarantee if they choose to plant during the late planting period. Additionally, producers may choose to plant a different crop with a later final planting date while still receiving the partially prohibited planting payment. to learn more,

Read the press release issued on May 27, 2022

or visit

Implantation Prevention

And the


Internet pages.

Producers considering non-traditional farming practices, such as broadcasting and then incorporating seeds, should contact their agent to see if a written practice or type (TP) is required to ensure this practice. The deadline for requesting a written crop TP agreement of November 30 to change the contract is July 15.

Learn more at

May 23, 2022, press release.


Emergency Conservation Program

(ECP) and

Emergency Forest Restoration Program

The EFRP can assist land owners and forest officials with financial and technical assistance to replace or restore fences as well as remove debris from farmland. The FSA provides cost-sharing payments of up to 75% of the cost of implementing certified restoration practices, and up to 90% for producers who certify as limited resource, socially disadvantaged, or novice farmers or growers. ECP subscription periods will be announced by province, but producers can place orders before subscription begins. in South Dakota,

32 provinces

Eligible for ECP assistance.

The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is always available to provide technical assistance in the recovery process by helping producers plan and implement conservation practices on working farms, farms, and forests affected by natural disasters. The

Environmental Quality Incentive Program

(EQIP) provides agricultural producers with financial resources and individual assistance to plan and implement land improvements including financial assistance to repair and prevent excessive soil erosion caused by or affected by natural disasters. These practices include activities such as restoring stream banks, grass waterways, and buffers.

“NRCS programs are available to help South Dakota landowners recover from adverse weather events,” said Tony Scerry, NRCS South Dakota conservation activist. “NRCS staff will assist landowners in assessing any damages and develop methods that focus on effective recovery options.”

NRCS-funded conservation practices protect the Earth from erosion, support disaster recovery and recovery, and can help mitigate losses from future natural disasters. Assistance may also be available for emergency animal deaths from natural disasters and other causes. Producers can visit their local USDA service center to learn more about the effects of recent natural disasters and the potential recovery tactics associated with them.

Recovery from livestock, crop and farmland disasters

Producers with livestock mortality in excess of the normal mortality rate may be eligible for

Livestock compensation program

(lip). To participate in the LIP, producers will have to provide verifiable documentation of death losses from a qualifying adverse weather event including lightning, high winds, and straight linear and must file a Notice of Loss to their local FSA office within 30 calendar days of the time this occurs. The loss of livestock is obvious.


Emergency assistance program for livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish

ELAP provides compensation to eligible producers for losses caused by disease or some adverse weather event or loss circumstances as determined by the Secretary of Agriculture. For ELAP, producers will need to file a loss notice within 30 days and honeybee losses within 15 days.

Uninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program

The NAP provides financial assistance to non-insurable crop producers to protect against natural disasters that result in lower yields, crop losses, or the prevention of cropping. For crops covered by the NAP, a Notice of Loss (CCC-576) must be filed within 15 days of the loss appearing, except for manually harvested crops, which must be reported within 72 hours.

Tree Assistance Program

TAP provides cost-sharing financial assistance to qualified horticulturalists and nursery tree growers to replant or, where appropriate, rehabilitate eligible trees, shrubs, and vines lost to natural disasters. Eligible death loss greater than 15 percent (over the normal death rate) must be maintained for initiation of assistance.

“It is important to stay informed of the various programs available to your operation to recover from these extreme weather events, and just as important to contact your local Financial Services Authority office to report in a timely manner all damage and losses to crops, livestock and farm infrastructure.” said Steve Dick, state executive director of the Farm Services Agency (FSA) in South Dakota. “Required documentation such as farm records, herd inventory, receipts, and photos of damage or loss will help support and expedite FSA disaster assistance.”

FSA also offers a variety of straightforward and guaranteed services

agricultural loans

, including operating and emergency agricultural loans to producers unable to secure commercial financing. Producers in primary or adjacent disaster-rated counties may qualify for a reduced benefit

emergency loans

To help them recover from material and productivity losses. Loans can help producers replace basic property, purchase inputs such as livestock, equipment, feed, and seeds, cover family living expenses or refinance farm-related debt and other needs. In addition, the FSA has a variety of loan service options available to borrowers who are unable to make scheduled payments of their FSA agricultural loan debt for reasons beyond their control.


Farm Storage Facility Loan Program

(FSFL) provides low-interest financing so that producers can build or upgrade facilities to store goods. Loan terms vary from 3 to 12 years. Producers who have sustained damage or loss of their FSFL-funded equipment or infrastructure should contact their insurance agent and local USDA service center. Producers that require on-farm storage should also contact the USDA.

Additional information about USDA disaster assistance can be found at

farmers. gov


Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool

And the

Disaster glimpse fact sheet

And the

Farm loan finder

. For Natural Resources Conservation Service and FSA programs, producers should contact local

USDA Service Center

. For assistance with a crop insurance claim, producers and landowners should contact them

Crop Insurance Agent


To find out more, visit