Republic of Ireland shaken by Armenia to extend League of Nations drought | The League of Nations

The misery of the League of Nations continued in the Republic of Ireland as Edward Spersian defeated Armenia to achieve victory in Yerevan. The midfielder curled a long-range goal in the 75th minute past Caoimhin Kelleher, in his competitive debut for Ireland, to give the newcomers in League B the victory and their revenge. Controversial loss in Euro 2012 qualifiers in Dublin.

Stephen Kenny’s men, who have yet to win 11 attempts since the competition began, might have had few complaints one evening when their eight-game unbeaten run ended in a sweltering Republican field. Ireland enjoyed dominance for long periods, but failed to turn domination into opportunity.

Callum Robinson had a first-half errant shot that went off the line and headed Chiedozie Ogbene when he could have done better, but they withered after the break and were caught by a sucker punch, albeit one delivered with confidence.

With captain, Seamus Coleman, and Enda Stevens working as a centre-back, Ireland went straight to attack trying to seize the lead, but it was Keeler, who played in place of injured Gavin Pazono, who was called-up and was kept away by Tigran Parsegian with a shot in the sixth minute after he Nathan Collins surrendered the ball.

Ireland threatened for the first time when Josh Cullen fed Ogbene and fired the ball into Robinson’s path, but the striker was only able to pass the side netting with his attempt. Neither side were able to exert any amount of control in a pass riddled with errors and Robinson could have done better when he saved Ogben in the 16th minute towards goal, with Hovhannes Hambardzumian clearing the line. Shane Duffy nodded from Colin’s corner after the visitors regained their composure, but the obvious openings proved few and far between.

The Armenia Goalkeeper David Yurchenko caused a panic in his own penalty area with a less effective punch when he tried to tackle Troy Parrott’s cross and Spearsian escaped penalty requests due to a handball while Coleman recycled.

Ireland and Armenia players compete for the ball.
Air defense between Ireland and Armenia players in the penalty area. Photo: Hagop Berberian/Associated Press

Ogbini pulled a shot in the 38th minute past the far post after Robinson hit Hendrik’s superb pass and stopped it before Parrott curled from a distance four minutes before the end of the first half under the pressure of Ireland. However, Ogbeni missed the best chance of the half in injury time when he was left unmarked with a free kick from Colin, but pushed in more vertical inches.

The hosts sent a threat warning at the break within five minutes of the second half, when Barsegyan played Hambardzumian into the space on the right side and then picked up a return pass before stepping neatly inside Parrot to strike a superb shot into the top corner. However, the offside flag saved Kenny’s side to stop the celebrations and Parsigian was unable to find the same accuracy with a similar effort from a greater range after six minutes.

Davi headed Colin in the 62nd minute from a direct corner kick in Yurchenko and put another attempt at the goal from Stevens’ cross seconds later as the guests responded.

Hendrik curled the ball in the 69th minute into Yurchenko’s midfield, but it was Armenia who had 15 minutes left when Spersian was allowed close to goal before firing a 25-yard shot that overcame Keeler’s desperate dive and smashed into the post. .

John Egan headed home later as the Republic sought redemption but Armenia, who lost 9-0 in Norway last time, held out for the points.