Ilott misses IndyCar in Detroit after Indy 500 crash

The Series and Indy 500 rookie qualified for a Superb 19The tenth And he looked impressive in the next training session on Monday and on Carb Day.

However, the former Formula 2 ace lost ground at the start of the race and was running into a net 26The tenth When he lost the rear of the car in Turn 2 on Lap 69.

The car turned 270 degrees, hitting the SAFER bulkhead first with the nose and then the left side, causing serious damage.

Ellot got out of the car unassisted, but when he got out of the indoor medical center his hands and wrists were bound, and he was not allowed to race on Belle Isle this weekend. It will be re-evaluated next week.

“I am obviously shocked that I didn’t race this weekend in Detroit,” Ilott said. “After speaking with doctors and specialists here in Indy, the damage to my hand was a little worse than when I first looked at it. They suggested that long-term recovery was a top priority and that any damage that could be done in the short term by racing would be a long-term problem. term.

“So, after learning about this, I agreed with the medical team’s decision that I would not be acquitted and would spend more time in recovery. Although I wish I could have been racing, I wanted to keep myself and focus on my health.

“I talked to [team co-owners] Ricardo [Juncos] and fridge [Hollinger] And we came to the same conclusion in favor of the team. I’ll be with the team this weekend supporting Santino and giving whatever direction I can. I’m sorry I won’t be in the car this weekend but I know it was the right decision.”

“This is a very difficult scenario for Ilott and JHR,” Junkus said. “Together we’re looking at the long-term vision, so keeping Ilott out of the car to take the time to recover was the most important, so we support IndyCar’s assessment. Callum has already proven to be a strong competitor this year and we want to continue building on that, so we all agree that’s It’s the best decision for this weekend.”

Santino Ferrucci, who does not have a full-time IndyCar trip in 2022, will nonetheless make his third start of the season for a different third team. summoned to Jack Harvey At the back of Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda in Texas after the Briton was not allowed to race after a crash in practice. Then race the second Dreyer & Reinbold Racing-Chevrolet to 10The tenth at the Indianapolis 500, and now back in Detroit with Juncos Hollinger – the track he made his IndyCar debut on Del Queen Racing Four years ago.

Last year, he placed 16th in the third RLL car raceThe tenth in Detroit in what was then a double-headed.

“Although I’m happy to be back in the car, it’s unfortunate for Callum under the circumstances,” Ferrucci said. “I hope his hand heals very quickly and is back on the right track soon.

“I’m just here to help out with the team and see if we can get a really good result and provide some different knowledge from my experience in Detroit. I look forward to having some fun and carrying the momentum I have from Indy. I can’t thank the guys at Junkus Hollinger enough for their confidence me this weekend and I hope things go smoothly.”

“We want to thank Santino Ferrucci for his kind intervention to help us with the #77 Chevrolet in Detroit,” Juncos said. “Having a driver of such caliber as Santino would be a huge help to our team. We will provide any necessary support to Santino this weekend as we get him to settle into the car.”

“This is a difficult moment for all of us here at JHR, but we are all confident this is what is best for Callum’s health and recovery,” Hollinger added. “The support that Callum brings to this team, and the support we all give Callum, shows the unity of everyone at JHR.

“We are all here to fully support Santino this weekend and thank him for stepping in on such short notice.”