Four people were killed in a shooting at Tulsa Medical Center

A man with a shotgun and a pistol opened fire at a medical office building in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Wednesday noon, killing four people and wounding several more before apparently committing suicide in the latest mass shooting to shock the country, authorities said. He said.

In an interview late Wednesday night, Capt. Richard Mullenberg of the Tulsa Police Department said the attack was not random.

“It wasn’t someone who just decided he wanted to go find a hospital full of random people,” he said. “He deliberately chose to come here and his actions were deliberate.” Captain Mullenberg declined to reveal the gunman’s motives.

Police did not reveal the identity of the gunman, but at an earlier press conference, Vice President Eric Dalglish said he was between 35 and 40 years old.

Commander Dalglish said police received a call regarding a shooting at 4:52 p.m., and arrived at the scene four minutes later. He said he believed all of the shooting happened in one section of the second floor of the Natalie Medical Building on the campus of St. Francis Hospital. The sound of gunfire drew the officers to that area.

“There is an orthopedic center, and an orthopedic office, there,” he said, “but I don’t know if that occupies the entire floor, or if there are other offices on the floor,” adding that “at least part of the scene.”

Captain Mullenberg said in a telephone interview that as police officers reached the second floor entrance, the shooting stopped. He said the agents went in and immediately found the victim, and as they continued their search, they found the body of the gunman, who apparently shot himself with a pistol.

President Dalglish said the victims may have been a mixture of workers and patients. Police said none of the wounded had serious injuries, and none of the officers were hurt in the attack, during which the gunman fired both of his weapons.

Captain Mullenberg said the number of people wounded in the shooting appeared to be “very low” but that there were other injuries associated with hundreds of people who had fled the building at the time of the attack. “Imagine a scene of mass chaos,” he said. “You can hear the sound of gunfire.”

The Muskogee Police Department said the Tulsa Police Department alerted it that the gunman may have left a bomb in a home in Muskogee, about 50 miles southeast of Tulsa. The department said Muskogee police evacuated the house and told those in the area to stay inside.

A bomb squad was on their way home late Wednesday, and Muskogee police are working to obtain a search warrant to search the home.

Tulsa Mayor JT Bynum said at the news conference that some families of the victims had not yet been informed of what happened.

“This facility has been more than any other facility that has worked to save lives in this city,” Mr. Bynum said. He paid tribute to “the broad group of first responders today who did not hesitate to respond to this violent act.”

The White House said President Biden was briefed on the shooting, which came just eight days after 19 students and teachers were killed in a mass shooting in Ovaldi, Texas, and 18 days after 10 people were killed by a gunman in a supermarket. in Buffalo, New York

When asked about his response to Tulsa’s inclusion in the list of US cities that have experienced mass shootings over the past few weeks, Mr. Bynum said his “thoughts are with the victims here, and many of their families don’t even know about it yet.”

“If we want to have a political discussion, it is something we should discuss in the future, but not tonight, not tonight,” Mr Bynum said.

“There will be a very bumpy road ahead, I think, ahead of us,” said Cliff Robertson, CEO of St. Francis Hospital.

“But there are more than 10,000 people who are part of the Saint Francis health system who devote their lives every day to caring for those in need, caring for every needy, and this foolish, horrible, incomprehensible act will not change,” Mr. Robertson said.

Oklahoma Governor Kevin State said in a statement Wednesday evening that today’s shooting in Tulsa was a “meaningless act of violence and hate.”

Before the press conference, Captain Muilenberg He said the shooting had stopped and that authorities were searching the building “floor by floor, room by room.”

“It’s a catastrophic sight out there now,” Capt. Mullenberg told reporters outside the hospital.

Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin said on Twitter Police responded to an “active shooting incident” near East 61st Street and south of Yale Street in Tulsa and next to St. Francis Hospital.

“Please stay away from the area and surrender to all emergency vehicles as we are dealing with this response,” President Franklin said.

The Tulsa Police Department said in Twitter She created a family reunion site at Memorial High School.

Jason Bailey contributed reporting, and Jack Page and Sheila McNeil contributed research.